About the project
Held over the weekend of the emotionally charged Brazilian elections in October 2018, the pilot edition of ASA kicked off with a three-day event, with 50 core participants taking part in talks, workshops and project planning sessions.
In the six months that followed, they worked in groups to develop project ideas with regular meet-ups and mentoring support from the Brazilian artists and creative professionals. The programme ended with a pitching day, during which the participants presented their project ideas and prototypes to an industry panel.
Nine contributors from both the UK and Brazil took part in the programme as guest speakers, workshop leaders and mentors, including:
- Award-winning radio/audio documentary producer, writer and presenter Cathy FitzGerald
- Fabiane Pereira, a Brazilian journalist and radio presenter
- Film and games sound designer and composer Vanesa Lorena Tate
- Film sound editor and mixer Simone Petrillo
- Sound artist and DJ Ain Bailey
- Brazilian sound artist Chiara Banfi
- Hannah Catherine Jones, a music artist and multi-instrumentalist
- Teacher and film and TV sound professional Daniela Pastore
- Constança Scofield, musician and owner/manager of the renowned Toca do Bandido studio in Rio
Photo credits: Cacau Fernandes.