ONLINE MASTERCLASS: AN INTRODUCTION TO MODULAR SYNTHESIS USING VCV RACK
Date: 31 July 2021
Time: 10.30am-1.30pm (incl. 15-minute break)
Tickets: Free, booking is essential.
Modular synthesis is a powerful tool for sound design and composition, but the high price of the equipment is a significant barrier to entry. The free software, VCV Rack, offers a way to understand how modular works but without the cost associated with hardware.
In this masterclass, K Man (The Phantom) will demonstrate the ways in which modular workflows relate to ‘DAW’ style electronic music workflows; and how techniques learnt from using other software can be applied to modular synthesis. In the second part of the session, the focus will turn to the unique qualities of modular synthesis with demonstrations of its potential, to give ideas of starting points for experimentation and exploration.
This masterclass is intended for anyone new to modular synthesis, but with experience of using music software such as Ableton, Logic, Fruity Loops or Cubase.
- This event will take place online via platform/software Zoom. Zoom requires you to create and log into a registered account. You may create an account for free here.
- Participants will receive a link to the event on the day of the workshop: Saturday 31st July 2021.
- The masterclass will have automated captions by Rev.
- There will be a 15-minute break halfway through the masterclass.
- Please get in touch if you would like to discuss how we can support you to virtually attend and enjoy this online masterclass: email@example.com
About the Artist
K Man (The Phantom) is a South London electronic music producer with releases on Deep Medi Musik and Circle Vision and who works for U.K. synthesiser module manufacturer ALM Busy Circuits. K Man has been releasing music since 2014 and is an expert in modular synthesis techniques.
An Introduction to Modular Synthesis Using VCV Rack masterclass is part of Re-Imagine Europe, which is co-funded by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union. Re-Imagine Europe is initiated by Sonic Acts (NL) and coordinated by Paradiso (NL) in collaboration with Elevate Festival (AT), Lighthouse (UK), Ina GRM (FR), Landmark / Bergen Kunsthall (NO), A4 (SK), Disruption Network Lab (DE), Ràdio Web MACBA (ES), Urban Paradoxes (NL) and Kontejner (HR).